Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Airfix 1/72 A-10 Thunderbolt II - Chapter 3

by Kasper Fischer

My plan was to paint the A-10 in the same Olive Drab paint-scheme as the Apache to practice my airbrush skills a bit on a cheap model but that idea got boring really fast. I spend some hours researching for alternative paint-schemes and found this winter camouflage, which i decided to try out instead.

Photobucket

I airbrushed some pre-shades, using Tamiya XF-1 flat black, onto all panel lines and gave it a coat of very light grey. Mixed from Tamiya XF-2 flat white and a drop of Tamiya XF-63 german grey. After it dried for some time i gave it a final thin flat white coat, still using the Tamiya, and sealed it with a layer of Model Master flat clear acrylic.

Again i let it dry for some time while i cut out some masking tape for the black camouflage. I have never tried this before on any kind of model, so i really didn't know what I was doing. I am/was a camo-virgin...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But, as you properly can see, i did a lot of over spraying because I'm a complete camo-noob. I tried to fix it by covering the black and spraying white again but that made it even worse. I got white dust in the black. Damn it. Now I have now given it a complete over-spray of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer to cover it all up and start over. This time doing what I set out to do in the first place. Practice the paint-scheme for the AH-64D Longbow I'm building next. OLIVE DRAB...

One step forward and two steps back!

and on a side note; I'm not sure why the American Army painted the aircraft like a Danish Holstein but it makes me feel comfy (:

Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...